Posted: Mar 08, 2020
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Saint Mary's tennis team started off their trip to Florida with an 8-1 win over the College of St. Scholastica on Sunday evening.
Meredith Heckert and Kalyn Borger took an 8-1 win at three doubles while Megan Davy and Alyssa Gulli powered their way to an 8-2 decision at one doubles. Lilly Chamberlin and Lucy Chamberlin gave the Belles a 3-0 lead with a tight 8-6 victory at two doubles.
Alyssa Gulli and Lucy Chamberlin posted matching 6-1, 6-1 wins at three and four singles, respectively. Lilly Chamberlin added a 6-2, 6-1 decision at six singles, and Lily Brandt took a straight-set 6-1, 6-3 victory at five singles. Megan Davy outlasted her opponent in the first set in a 7-6 (7-3) win before taking the second set 6-2 at one singles. Meredith Heckert battled back from a first set loss but was edged out in the tiebreaker in a 6-1, 0-6, 1-0 (10-8) setback at two singles.
In exhibition play, Kathleen McLeod and Lily Brandt won a doubles competition 8-0. Trinity Marshall added an 8-1 exhibition singles victory on the night.
The Belles (3-1) are back in action on Monday afternoon when they take on Illinois Wesleyan at 3:00 p.m.
1. Megan Davy (SMC) def. Elizabeth Fink (CSS) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
2. Syd Holt (CSS) def. Meredith Heckert (SMC) 6-1, 0-6, 1-0 (10-8)
3. Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Madilyn Jankila (CSS) 6-1, 6-1
4. Lucy Chamberlin (SMC) def. Julia Ellefson (CSS) 6-1, 6-1
5. Lily Brandt (SMC) def. Maria Valentini (CSS) 6-1, 6-3
6. Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) def. Anna Roberts (CSS) 6-2, 6-1
1. Megan Davy/Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Elizabeth Fink/Madilyn Jankila (CSS) 8-2
2. Lilly Chamberlin/Lucy Chamberlin (SMC) def. Syd Holt/Madeline Samz (CSS) 8-6
3. Meredith Heckert/Kalyn Borger (SMC) def. Hannah Loewen/Emily Carpenter (CSS) 8-1