Posted: Feb 29, 2020
NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team took a commanding 9-0 win over visiting Saint Francis (Ind.) on Saturday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion at the University of Notre Dame.
Megan Davy and Alyssa Gulli made quick work of their match in an 8-1 win at one doubles, and Meredith Heckert and Kalyn Borger followed suit with an 8-1 victory at three doubles. Lilly Chamberlin and Lucy Chamberlin, meanwhile, picked up an 8-2 decision at two doubles for the 3-0 lead for Saint Mary's.
Alyssa Gulli was the first off the court again as the sophomore took a commanding 6-0, 6-0 win at three singles. Lily Brandt clinched the team win with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at five singles, and Lily Chamberlin completed a 6-0, 6-0 win at six singles just moments later. Lucy Chamberlin hardly missed a beat in a 6-2, 6-0 final at four singles, and Megan Davy powered her way to a 6-0, 6-1 win at one singles.
The match of the night proved to be Meredith Heckert's two singles competition. The sophomore took a 6-4 win in the first set but fell behind in the second set. Needing to hold serve to force a set tiebreaker, Heckert did just that as she was able to battle back to a 6-6 score in the second frame. Her counterpart took the first two points in the seven-point tiebreaker and edged ahead 4-3, but Heckert rattled off back-to-back points for a 5-4 lead. After the pair were tied 5-5, the sophomore overpowered her opponent and claimed the next two points for a 7-5 win.
In exhibition singles play, Trinity Marshall prevailed 8-1 while Nicole Becker took an 8-0 win on the night.
The Belles (2-1) return to competition when they travel to Florida for their annual spring break trip. The first match of the week takes place on Sunday, March 8 against St. Scholastica at 2:00 p.m.
Saint Mary's College 9, Saint Francis 0
1. Megan Davy (SMC) def. Taylor Stanchin (USF) 6-0, 6-1
2. Meredith Heckert (SMC) def. Jessica Henline (USF) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Regina Faber (USF) 6-0, 6-0
4. Lucy Chamberlin (SMC) def. Maddy DeRoo (USF) 6-2, 6-0
5. Lily Brandt (SMC) def. Christina King (USF) 6-0, 6-0
6. Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) def. Tyra Grischke (USF) 6-0, 6-0
1. Megan Davy/Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Taylor Stanchin/Regina Faber (USF) 8-1
2. Lilly Chamberlin/Lucy Chamberlin (SMC) def. Jessica Henline/Maddy DeRoo (USF) 8-2
3. Meredith Heckert/Kalyn Borger (SMC) def. Christina King/Tyra Grischke (USF) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (3,5,6,4,1,2)
Nicole Becker def. Lizzy Gomez, 8-0
Trinity Marshall def. Lizzy Gomez, 8-1