Posted: Mar 09, 2020
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Saint Mary's tennis team earned a 7-2 win over Illinois Wesleyan at the USTA National Campus in Florida on Monday afternoon.
Megan Davy and Alyssa Gulli teamed up to take an 8-1 win at one doubles to help set the tone early. Kalyn Borger and Trinity Marshall prevailed 8-4 at their three doubles competition. Lucy Chamberlin and Lilly Chamberlin made it a 3-0 lead with an 8-2 final at two doubles for the Belles.
Alyssa Gulli then put the Belles a decision away from clinching the match with an unblemished 6-0, 6-0 win at four singles. Kathleen McLeod ensured the team victory with a 6-2, 6-2 final at six singles for Saint Mary's. Megan Davy was not far behind with a 6-1, 6-2 decision at one singles. Meredith Heckert came up on the shy side of a 6-1, 6-2 final at two singles. Lily Brandt took a 6-1 opening set before holding off her opponent in a 7-5 second set for the five-singles win. Lucy Chamberlin fell in a marathon match at three singles after forcing a tiebreaker in a 6-2, 3-6, 10-6 final.
Trinity Marshall prevailed in an exhibition singles match by a 6-0 score to cap off the day.
The Belles (4-1) have a break from competition on Tuesday before squaring off against both Franciscan and Wheaton on Wednesday at 8:00 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., respectively.
Saint Mary's College 7, Illinois Wesleyan 2
1. Megan Davy (SMC) def. Rochacz, Rebecca (IWUW) 6-1, 6-2
2. Girardin, Alessia (IWUW) def. Meredith Heckert (SMC) 6-1, 6-2
3. Mohr, Ashley (IWUW) def. Lucy Chamberlin (SMC) 6-2, 3-6, 10-6
4. Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Cooper, Anna (IWUW) 6-0, 6-0
5. Lily Brandt (SMC) def. Smith, Caitlyn (IWUW) 6-1, 7-5
6. Kathleen McLeod (SMC) def. Zulawski, Andrea (IWUW) 6-2, 6-2
1. Megan Davy/Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Rochacz, Rebecca/Mohr, Ashley (IWUW) 8-1
2. Lucy Chamberlin/Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) def. Cooper, Anna/Smith, Caitlyn (IWUW) 8-2
3. Kalyn Borger/Trinity Marshall (SMC) def. Girardin, Alessia/Zulawski, Andrea (IWUW) 8-4