Posted: Mar 11, 2020
LAKELAND, Fla. - The Saint Mary's tennis team took a 6-3 win over Franciscan University on Wednesday morning before falling to Wheaton (Ill.) 9-0 in the evening.
In the early match of the day, Megan Davy and Alyssa Gulli claimed an 8-2 win at one doubles before Meredith Heckert and Kalyn Borger came out on top in an 8-6 final at three doubles. Lilly Chamberlin and Lucy Chamberlin fell just a little short in an 8-5 two doubles match.
Megan Davy did not miss a beat in an unblemished 6-0, 6-0 victory at one singles. Alyssa Gulli followed Davy's lead with a 6-0, 6-0 win over her own at three singles. Lucy Chamberlin clinched the team win with a 6-0, 6-3 decision at four singles. Meredith Heckert was stopped in a 6-3, 6-2 final at two singles. Lilly Chamberlin out-dueled her counterpart in a 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-7) battle at five singles. Kathleen McCleod also went to a third-set tiebreaker but came up shy in a 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-3) match at six singles.
In exhibition play against the Barons, Trinity Marshall and Kathleen McLeod earned an 8-2 doubles win. Marshall went on to take an 8-1 singles decision. Kalyn Borger added an 8-2 win in exhibition play, and Annika Smith prevailed 8-6 in her first action of the spring.
The Belles then squared off against a tough Wheaton side. Lilly Chamberlin and Lucy Chamberlin shouldered an 8-3 setback at two doubles, and Meredith Heckert and Kathleen McLeod fell by the same 8-3 margin at three doubles. Megan Davy and Alyssa Gulli battled until the end in an 8-6 loss at one doubles.
Lily Brandt fell 6-1, 6-0 at five singles, and Meredith Heckert had a 6-2, 6-1 setback at two singles. Megan Davy was on the short side of a 6-2, 6-4 match at one singles, and Lucy Chamberlin fell 6-4, 6-2 at four singles. Lilly Chamberlin and Alyssa Gulli both had strong competitions in their singles matches. Chamberlin was narrowly edged out in a 7-5, 6-4 match at six singles. Alyssa Gulli, meanwhile, fell in a tight 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) final at three singles.
Saint Mary's College 6, Franciscan University 3
1. Megan Davy (SMC) def. Conrad, Madelyn (FRNW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Haddad, Ana Victoria (FRNW) def. Meredith Heckert (SMC) 6-3, 6-2
3. Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Leon, Estelle (FRNW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Lucy Chamberlin (SMC) def. Hammel, Grace (FRNW) 6-0, 6-3
5. Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) def. Picard, Caroline (FRNW) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Davinsizer, Haley (FRNW) def. Kathleen McLeod (SMC) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-3)
1. Megan Davy/Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Conrad, Madelyn/Hammel, Grace (FRNW) 8-2
2. Haddad, Ana Victoria/Picard, Caroline (FRNW) def. Lilly Chamberlin/Lucy Chamberlin (SMC) 8-5
3. Meredith Heckert/Kalyn Borger (SMC) def. Leon, Estelle/Davinsizer, Haley (FRNW) 8-6
Wheaton (Ill.) 9, Saint Mary's College 0
1. Browning, Claire (WHEATON) def. Megan Davy (SMC) 6-2, 6-4
2. Lindquist, Emme (WHEATON) def. Meredith Heckert (SMC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Dibble, Claire (WHEATON) def. Alyssa Gulli (SMC) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Freeman, Nicole (WHEATON) def. Lucy Chamberlin (SMC) 6-4, 6-2
5. Ahn, Abygale (WHEATON) def. Lily Brandt (SMC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Hoogerheide, Bethany (WHEATON) def. Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) 7-5, 6-4
1. Browning, Claire/Ahn, Abygale (WHEATON) def. Megan Davy/Alyssa Gulli (SMC) 8-6
2. Freeman, Nicole/Dibble, Claire (WHEATON) def. Lilly Chamberlin/Lucy Chamberlin (SMC) 8-3
3. Lindquist, Emme/Hoogerheide, Bethany (WHEATON) def. Meredith Heckert/Kathleen McLeod (SMC) 8-3