#18 Kalamazoo College 5, Saint Mary's College 2
1. Laura Hanselman (KZOO-W) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-2, 2-6, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Maddy Winarski (KZOO-W) def. Megan Davy (SMC) 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
3. Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) def. Helen Pelak (KZOO-W) 7-5, 3-6, 6-2
4. Caroline Norton (KZOO-W) def. Alyssa Gulli (SMC) 6-0, 6-1
5. Ella Knight (KZOO-W) vs. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) 7-5, 5-0, unfinished
6. Sonal Bahl (KZOO-W) vs. Lily Brandt (SMC) 1-4, unfinished
1. Laura Hanselman/Sonal Bahl (KZOO-W) def. Monica Davy/Megan Davy (SMC) 8-6
2. Helen Pelak/Caroline Norton (KZOO-W) def. Alyssa Gulli/Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) 8-2
3. Elizabeth Preister/Nicole Becker (SMC) def. Maddy Winarski/Ella Knight (KZOO-W) 8-5
Saint Mary's College 14-10
Kalamazoo College 12-7; Regional ranking #18
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,2,3,1)
MIAA Tournament Semifinal
Season Comes to Close in Semifinal Loss Against Kalamazoo
Posted: May 01, 2019
KALAMAZOO, Mich. - The Saint Mary's tennis team had their season come to an end in a 5-2 MIAA Tournament Semifinal loss against regionally-ranked Kalamazoo on Wednesday afternoon.
The Hornets took the first doubles match of the day as Alyssa Gulli and Lilly Chamberlin came up short in an 8-2 final at two doubles. Elizabeth Preister and Nicole Becker held off a late push by their counterparts to take an 8-5 win at three doubles to draw the Belles even. Monica Davy and Megan Davy trailed 5-1 in their one doubles match before storming back to make it 5-4. After their opponents pushed their lead to 6-5, the pair came right back to tie the score at 6-6. The comeback, however, was halted their as the Hornets took the match 8-6 for a 2-1 lead through doubles.
Alyssa Gulli was halted in a 6-0, 6-1 four singles match. Megan Davy fought back from a 6-0 first set loss to take the second set 6-4 to force a third set. The sophomore came up on the short end of a 6-2 final in the set as Kalamazoo went ahead 4-1. Lilly Chamberlin dueled her way to a win at three singles. The sophomore won her first set 7-5 but fell 6-3 in the second set as the match continued. Chamberlin got the upper hand and prevailed 6-2 in the third set for the win. Monica Davy nearly made a huge comeback at one singles. The senior was on the short side of a 6-2 final in the first set but came right back with a 6-2 win in the second set. She and her counterpart went back-and-forth throughout the third set until things were all even at 6-6, forcing a tiebreaker. Davy's comeback fell just short as she ended on the wrong side of a 7-3 score in that tiebreaker.
The other two matches - Elizabeth Preister's five singles match and Lily Brandt's six singles match - were both stopped as the Hornets clinched the team decision with a 5-2 score.
The Belles end the season with a 14-10 overall record and made their sixth consecutive MIAA Tournament appearance.