Bethel College 5, Saint Mary's College 4
1. Taylor Freedline (BETHEL) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-4, 6-3
2. Caroline Boger (BETHEL) def. Megan Davy (SMC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Grace Haley (BETHEL) 6-3, 6-1
4. Layla Jojo (BETHEL) def. Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Emili Runestad (BETHEL) 6-2, 6-2
6. Abbey VanDiver (BETHEL) def. Nicole Becker (SMC) 6-4, 6-2
1. Megan Davy/Monica Davy (SMC) def. Taylor Freedline/Caroline Boger (BETHEL) 8-4
2. Stephanie Cressman/Zoe Laubach (BETHEL) def. Lilly Chamberlin/Lily Brandt (SMC) 9-7
3. Elizabeth Preister/Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Grace Haley/Abbey VanDiver (BETHEL) 8-1
Belles Fall in Close Match Against Pilots
Mar 27, 2019
GRANGER, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team came up just short in a 5-4 final against cross-town foe Bethel on Wednesday evening.
Elizabeth Preister and Alyssa Gulli hardly missed a beat in an 8-1 win at three doubles, and Monica Davy and Megan Davy gave the Belles a 2-0 lead with an 8-4 victory at one doubles. Lilly Chamberlin and Lily Brandt lost in a nail-biter in a 9-7 final at two doubles.
Preister and Gulli each earned singles wins for Saint Mary's. Preister earned a 6-2, 6-2 decision at five singles while Gulli garnered a 6-3, 6-1 three singles victory. The Pilots, however, took the remaining four matches of the event for the team victory. Monica Davy battled in a tight 6-4, 6-3 final at one singles. Megan Davy was stopped in a 6-2, 6-2 two singles match. Nicole Becker fell in a 6-4, 6-2 match at six singles. Lilly Chamberlin bounced back from an opening-set loss with a second set win before falling on the short end of a 6-2, 2-6, 10-8 match at four singles.
The Belles (7-5) are back in action on Friday when they host Wheaton at 4:00 p.m.