SOUTH BEND, Ind. - The Saint Mary's tennis team earned their first two dual match wins of the year with a 6-3 decision over Judson and a 5-4 victory against Rose-Hulman on Friday.
In the first match of the day against the Eagles, Alyssa Gulli and Elizabeth Preister made quick work of their three doubles match as the pair cruised to a quick 8-0 victory. Lilly Chamberlin and Meredith Heckert were not far behind with an 8-0 win at two doubles. Monica Davy and Megan Davy fell short in an 8-1 final at one doubles as the Belles led 2-1 going into singles play.
Gulli was the first singles match off the court as the freshman earned a 6-0, 6-0 victory at five singles. Preister hardly missed a beat in a 6-1, 6-0 win at six singles. Meredith Heckert then clinched the team victory with a 6-2, 6-0 decision at four singles. Monica Davy fell in a tightly-contested 7-5, 6-1 one singles match. Lilly Chamberlin suffered a 6-3, 6-1 setback at three singles. Megan Davy battled back after losing the first set 6-2 and claimed the second set by a 6-3 score to force a tiebreaker. In that tiebreaker, the sophomore fought her way back again from a deficit to take the 12-10 win for the 6-3 team decision.
The Belles again took a 2-1 lead through doubles play in the match against Rose-Hulman. Gulli and Preister won an 8-2 three doubles contest to put Saint Mary's ahead. Chamberlin and Heckert trailed 6-3 in their two doubles match before rattling off five consecutive games for an 8-6 win. Monica Davy and Megan Davy made a late push after falling behind at one doubles, but the pair shouldered an 8-2 loss in their match.
Gulli continued to roll as the freshman again claimed a 6-0, 6-0 five singles win to give the Belles a 3-1 overall lead. Preister then edged Saint Mary's within a match of clinching the win with a 6-1, 6-1 decision at six singles. Monica Davy had several lengthy points at one singles but was unable to get the bounces she needed in a 6-0, 6-3 loss. Heckert, however, sealed the team victory as the freshman took a 6-2, 6-2 win in her four single match. Chamberlin battled in a 6-2, 6-0 loss at three singles. Megan Davy came back from a 4-3 deficit in her opening set and took a 6-4 win. After falling 6-3 in the second set, the sophomore came up just short in a 10-7 tiebreaker in her two singles match.
The Belles (2-0) conclude the fall portion of their season and will resume competition in February.
Saint Mary's College 6, Judson (IL) 3
1. Corona Garza, Sofia (JUWT) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 7-5, 6-1
2. Megan Davy (SMC) def. Banda, Martha (JUWT) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (12-10)
3. Binnion, Ellen (JUWT) def. Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) 6-3, 6-1
4. Meredith Heckert (SMC) def. Romero, Diana (JUWT) 6-2, 6-0
5. Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Janecek, Lauren (JUWT) 6-0, 6-0
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Redmond, Georgia (JUWT) 6-1, 6-0
1. Corona Garza, Sofia/Binnion, Ellen (JUWT) def. Megan Davy/Monica Davy (SMC) 8-1
2. Lilly Chamberlin/Meredith Heckert (SMC) def. Romero, Diana/Banda, Martha (JUWT) 8-0
3. Alyssa Gulli/Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Janecek, Lauren/Redmond, Georgia (JUWT) 8-0
Saint Mary's College 5, Rose-Hulman 4
1. Naomi Bhagat (RHIT-W) def. Monica Davy (SMC) 6-0, 6-3
2. Anna Thompson (RHIT-W) def. Megan Davy (SMC) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Fanny-Jane Banda (RHIT-W) def. Lilly Chamberlin (SMC) 6-2, 6-0
4. Meredith Heckert (SMC) def. Beata Barati (RHIT-W) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alyssa Gulli (SMC) def. Betsy Richardson (RHIT-W) 6-0, 6-0
6. Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Krista Manche (RHIT-W) 6-1, 6-1
1. Anna Thompson/Naomi Bhagat (RHIT-W) def. Megan Davy/Monica Davy (SMC) 8-2
2. Lilly Chamberlin/Meredith Heckert (SMC) def. Fanny-Jane Banda/Kyla Jarvis (RHIT-W) 8-6
3. Alyssa Gulli/Elizabeth Preister (SMC) def. Linde Schaffer/Krista Manche (RHIT-W) 8-2