Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Season Concludes for Belles in Setback Against Thunder

Rose Stackhouse prepares to kick the ball with her right foot.

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - The Saint Mary's soccer team saw their season come to a close in a 3-1 setback against Trine on Tuesday evening.

Trine broke through first with a goal in the 11th minute before extending their lead to 2-0 in the 16th minute. Less than two minutes later, the Belles had one of their best scoring chances of the first period. Sophie Bubnar played a slot pass into the box toward Rose Stackhouse, who was making the supporting run on the play, but her touch was too strong as it carried ahead to the goalkeeper before Stackhouse could get a touch.

With just over five minutes remaining in the half, Saint Mary's had a pair of dangerous opportunities. Maya Cole won possession of the ball in the middle of the field and played a pass out wide-right for Haylee Shahan. Shahan carried the ball up the right side before playing a centering pass to Stackhouse. Stackhouse then turned to her left, carried the ball 10 yards, and slid a pass wide left for Sophie Bubnar. Bubnar took a touch inside the 18-yard box before sending a shot toward the near post only to have her effort stopped by the Trine goalkeeper. The Belles quickly regained possession after the ensuing punt, and Stackhouse played the ball wide-right to Elizabeth Schulte. Schulte squared herself toward goal and sent a cross in toward the penalty area as Bubnar made the supporting run into the box, but the Thunder goalkeeper was able to get off of her line and collect the ball before Bubnar could attempt a shot.

Trine capitalized on a miscue by the Belles early in the second period to go ahead 3-0 in the 53rd minute of play. Maya Cole regained the ball for Saint Mary's a short while after play resumed and sent a pass toward the top-right corner of the 18-yard box for Sophie Bubnar. Bubnar had a dipping strike take a short-hop toward the near post, but the skipping shot was saved as the score stood at 3-0.

Saint Mary's had a flurry of action on offense midway through the period. A pair of corner kicks yielded a pair of shots for Becca Stella and a shot by Bubnar. Moments later, Stackhouse had a shot go wide and another shot blocked as the Belles continued to apply the pressure. In the 83rd minute, the Belles were able to break through. Zoe Shepherd passed the ball to the right side of the field for Lindsey Herdsman. Herdsman scanned the field before finding Sophie Bubnar unmarked inside the Saint Mary's offensive end. Bubnar settled the pass from Herdsman before playing a perfectly-weighted pass ahead for Stackhouse. Stackhouse had a first-time hit at the edge of the 18-yard box and beat the goalkeeper for her 12th goal of the season.

The Belles continued to press, looking to cut the deficit to a goal late. Madison Jurgovan had a shot from the top of the box deflected out for a corner kick. Saint Mary's was unable to capitalize on the set piece, but Jurgovan fired a strong shot on goal in the final two minutes of play only to see the shot saved as the game ended by the 3-1 margin.

Rose Stackhouse scored her team-leading 12th goal of the season for the Belles. Sophie Bubnar and Lindsey Herdsman each collected an assist. Delaney Rohlman stopped six shots on goal on the night.

The Belles end the season 6-12 overall and 1-7 in conference play.