Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Belles Battle Past Falcons

Lexi Trombly prepares to shoot the ball with a defender slightly visible in the background.

NOTRE DAME, Ind. - After trailing 1-0 at home, the Saint Mary's soccer team scored three unanswered goals to take a 3-1 victory over Concordia University Wisconsin on Sunday afternoon.

The Falcons claimed the lead with a goal in the eighth minute of play, but the Belles were quick to respond. Lexi Trombly sent a dangerous, bending shot in toward goal that was deflected out of play for a corner kick. Maya Cole then crossed the corner kick into the box, where the ball went off a player before a CUW defender tried to clear the ball. The clear was mis-hit, and the ball fell to Rose Stackhouse's feet. The freshman settled the ball and sent home the Belles' first goal of the game 9:27 into play to draw Saint Mary's even with the Falcons.

Stackhouse nearly gave the Belles the lead two minutes later with a shot which rocketed off the post. In the 15th minute of play, Saint Mary's took the lead on a goal in transition. Maya Cole played a pass ahead for Stackhouse, who then played a drop pass back to Cole. Cole then sent a ball ahead into space for Lexi Trombly. Trombly played a touch ahead into space after beating her defender and deposited her shot into the back of the net to put the Belles ahead 2-1. Saint Mary's nearly doubled the lead in the 23rd minute. Lindsey Herdsman took her space and carried the ball along the left flank before putting a cross into the box from the left side of the 18. Stackhouse was on the receiving end of that pass and had a close-range shot blocked by a defender. With under 14 minutes remaining in the half, Trombly had another opportunity after a give-and-go with Stackhouse, but the freshman's strike bent wide right.

The Falcons continued to put the pressure on the Saint Mary's defense as CUW looked to find the equalizer, but the Belles continued to shut down any scoring chance the Falcons threw their way. The Belles, meanwhile, had a handful of scoring chances themselves during the second period of play. Maya Cole had a shot from the top of the box saved in 53rd minute. Elizabeth Schulte regained possession of the ball in the offensive end and worked a wide angle before having a shot from the right side of the box saved in the 65th minute. Sophie Bubnar received a pass from Maya Cole on a free kick along the left side of the field and fired a bending shot from 22 yards out just wide of the far post in the 68th minute. Bubnar had another strike saved just two minutes later. In the 81st minute, it had appeared as though the Belles would get the insurance goal they were seeking after Trombly played a pass over the defense toward Bubnar for the breakaway, but the play was whistled offside as the game remained 2-1.

In the 85th minute, the Saint Mary's broke through to double the lead. Rose Stackhouse took a free kick from the left side of the field and bent the ball into the six-yard box near the far post. The ball was played away by a defender for the Falcons, but Lexi Trombly regained possession and arched a shot over the goalkeeper and in for the 3-1 advantage. The defense, meanwhile, held the Falcons at bay over the final stretch of play as Saint Mary's secured the 3-1 win.

Lexi Trombly had a brace for the Belles with two goals on four shots. Rose Stackhouse added a multi-point effort with a goal and an assist, and Maya Cole tallied an assist in the win. Delaney Rohlman made seven saves while earning the win in goal.

The Belles (3-4) are on the road on Tuesday when they travel to North Park for a 7:00 p.m. CDT contest against the Vikings.