As was shared in a communication from Director of Athletics Julie Schroeder-Biek, all Saint Mary's College student-athletes have the ability to opt out of the Fall 2020 semester of athletically-related activity. The NCAA Board of Governors has directed all association members to provide an opportunity to opt out of participation due to concerns about contracting COVID-19, and Saint Mary's College fully supports this directive from the NCAA.
- Any student-athlete considering the opt out should contact their coach or an administrator in the Department of Athletics to set up a meeting.
- That meeting is structured only to gather information from the student-athlete and to express support of the decision.
- The coach/administrator will outline what opting out entails - no athletically-related activities with the team, etc.
- Student-athletes can exercise the opt out option at any point during the fall semester while also maintaining the option to return to their team in the spring semester.
- Any student-athlete who opts out maintains that status for the remainder of the fall semester.
At the conclusion of that meeting, the student-athlete who is opting out will sign a form acknowleding that they fully understand the details of the opt out.