Throughout the Spring 2020 season, we will be sharing some question and answer sessions with our Athletic Department staff. We hope you enjoy getting to know more about us as we work to stay together from far apart.
Our latest installment features head volleyball coach Denise Van De Walle.
1. What is your go-to beverage?
Wow, I have so many.
- Winning my first Indiana State Championship as a youngster. (I was only 23, with a 29-1 record)
- Winning my first MAC Championship at BGSU. We snapped WMU's 98 consecutive conference match win streak and gave BG its 1st MAC title.
- Being the DI Rep for the AVCA and then President of the AVCA
- Starting and coaching the USA National Women's Sitting Team... winning a Bronze medal in Athens and a Silver Medal in Beijing
- Beating Hope at their gym in 2017 in 3! Unbelievable feeling!
- Watching our players get 1st and 2nd team all-conference recognition in this very tough MIAA conference (Katie, Meaghan, Kaylin, Rachel, Marielle, Audrey, Nicole, Megan)
4. Who is someone you find inspirational?
- Corrie Ten Boom- she hid the Jews from the Nazis in her home in hopes of sparing them from the death camps. She was caught and sent to a labor camp and was tortured herself. She never lost her faith in Jesus and led many people to Christ. Later when she was out she started a ministry. She wrote a book called The Hiding Place and it became one of my most favorite movies ever!!
- Mother Teresa- for her constant help for the poor and suffering and her self-sacrifice. She is amazing!
5. Why Saint Mary's?
6. Is a hot dog a sandwich? Please explain your answer.
7. What is your hype song?
8. What are your favorite sports moments - either as a spectator or an athlete?
- Winning my first Gold Medal in Pickleball in 2016. It was the first PB tournament I ever played in and the first time I had competed in any sport in a very long time.
- Winning a Gold Medal in pickleball this past summer at the 4.0 level
- Watching the Olympic Volleyball matches in LA in 1984 was pretty spectacular.
- Watching ND men's basketball beat Duke here 79-77...so cool!